VisualText is a general development enviroment for natural language processing, pattern matching, and more. Sample application types that VisualText can support are described below.
- Information Extraction - Systems that accurately extract, correlate, and standardize the important content of text.
- Shallow Extraction - Systems that accurately identify names, locations, dates, and other atomic features of text.
- Indexing - Indexing text for quality search capabilities on the World Wide Web and other electronic text sources.
- Filtering - Systems that are both accurate and fast, to determine if a document is relevant.
- Categorization - Systems to determine the topic of documents.
- Data Mining - Finding important nuggets of information in voluminous texts.
- Test Grading - Reading and matching prose tests with idealized answers.
- Summarization - Building a brief, accurate description of the contents of a text.
- Automated Coding - E.g., resumé processing, medical reports, and police reports.
- Natural Language Query- The ability to ask a computer questions using plain text.
- Dissemination - Routing documents to people or locations that require them.